Cheddar-BBQ potatoes are cooked and then baked golden potatoes topped with spicy BBQ beef, loaded with melted cheese, and served with universally mandatory sour cream.
Year after year everyone besides me is looking forward to watching the super bowl game. I don’t want to be a party pooper but I am just not interested in football at all, no way to hide it’s already globally known. I am the one standing right next to the food with all the other football ignoramuses and tasting my way through the buffet and there is no shame in that. So it’s my major interest that there is really good party food because I am spending most of the time with it.
Instead of laboring in the kitchen this year will be easy-peasy with this cheddar-BBQ potatoes. We are bringing the d to foodball! This is not an outburst of creativity I just corrected my typos and almost posted it like this.
So let’s talk potatoes I used the golden also called Yukon because they are my favorite. The potatoes can use a lot of seasoning so don’t hold back and add some more to the beef than you usually would. You can grate the cheese and make little piles but I just placed a big cube on each. It’s a bit like glue and hold everything together and gets a bit firm when it’s cold. But don’t worry they heat up very well in the microwave oven.
- about 4 pounds / 10 medium-sized golden potatoes, washed
- 1 pound ground beef (or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and membranes removed and chopped
- 230 g / 8 oz. cheddar cheese, cut into 10 cubes or grated
- chopped green onions and sour cream for serving
- Preheat your oven to 200 C/ 400 F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender about 20 minutes and then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet, add meat, garlic, jalapeño peppers, seasoning, and salt and cook until brown.
- Place the potatoes on the baking pan and press them down until cracked using a fork or the bottom of the saucepan.
- Top the potatoes with the meat and place one cheddar cube on top of each.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the potatoes is browned.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve with a dollop of sour cream.