Those little hibiscus energy balls can be anything from a handy bite-sized snack to a life-saver and the other good news is they are also delicious!
I hope I can convince you that hibiscus energy balls are the perfect runner’s fuel! For me, they are more than that. I started testing this recipe months ago and until recently I was still working out quite often and most of the time left the house before breakfast (unfortunately on a circumstantial workout break up now). The goal is having a snack in my bag that I can just pop into my mouth anywhere, anytime, and anyhow… Certainly, they also make you run faster and jump higher but you already guessed that!?
I am driven to everything chocolate (must be a genetical thing) and I really wanted chia seeds in them, but I found out the hard way those two just stuck to my teeth and I don’t have to explain how this looks while I am gasping for air on the treadmill. So I needed an alternative natural flavor enhancer and hibiscus is just perfect and I love the pleasantly tart taste and the deep fuchsia color.
hibiscus energy balls
But these hibiscus energy balls are not just fun for your taste buds, they are also loaded with buckwheat, dates, almonds, oats, and hemp seeds. That is the necessary fuel needed for your body.
- 10 g / about ¼ cup dried hibiscus flowers (aka sorrel)
- 30 g / ¼ cup roasted almonds
- 25 g / ¼ cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 40 g / ¼ cup buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 140 g / 6 dried dates, pitted
- 130 g / ½ cup nut butter (almond, peanut or sunflower)
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Grind the dried hibiscus flowers until fine (they don't need to be powdery), works best with a coffee grinder. Transfer to a small and shallow bowl for easy rolling and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse all remaining ingredients until they start clumping up.
- Form bite-size balls and roll them in the ground hibiscus flowers.
- Hibiscus energy balls will last a few weeks in the refrigerator.
Check out these chocolate granola bars if you are looking for another perfect snack on the go!