No fuss recipe for a vegan and gluten-free buckwheat plum crumble which makes a flavorful and juicy summer dessert or breakfast.
Grüß dich! Guten Tag! Sending hugs from Germany! I am just dropping by for a short howdy because I am on vacation/family visit at my parents house but I didn’t wanna leave you too long without a recipe. I made this buckwheat plum crumble a few days before I left Atlanta and I absolute love it. It is very easy to make and for a dessert quite good for you. Buckwheat is a health powerhouse and although I am not happy with putting on labels, it’s the easiest way to describe it. Go and check it out if it’s new to you. You might also like this buckwheat scones, apple-hazelnut-buckwheat muffins aka cold weather muffins, and yogurt-buckwheat waffles with brown butter-honey sauce.
buckwheat plum crumble
Fruit crumbles can turn soggy but this buckwheat plum crumble stays crisp and crunchy for days due to the buckwheat groats. The plums release their juice and make a beautiful mess with the melting ice cream. You can use any fruit in season!
- 2 pounds ripe plums
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 60 g / ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoons buckwheat groats
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 50 g / ¼ cup sugar or light brown sugar
- 55 g / ¼ cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 degrees F and grease a 25 cm / 10-inch. round baking pan (I use a glass pie pan).
- Slice the plums in half, remove the stones, and cut each half into 4 slices (1 plum = 8 slices). Arrange evenly on the baking pan, sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle with amaretto liqueur (if using).
- Using a rubber spatula or your hands stir buckwheat flour and groats, starch, sugar, butter or coconut oil, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a medium bowl until well incorporated.
- Distribute the crumbles evenly over the plums, works best with your hands and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with yogurt, ice cream, or chocolate sauce.