Let’s have a Mediterranean chicken salad for dinner: juicy roasted chicken with protein-rich garbanzo beans aka chickpeas, salty capers, and olives with loads of fresh parsley and a zingy lemon dressing heavily dusted with smoked paprika powder.
I feel like you just caught me cheating. Just a little bit but to my defense, I was coming home late and very hungry however I have no regrets and I will do it again! I am sure you guys understand that cooking from scratch is important but in real life shortcuts are ok. I simplified the recipe as much as possible and I used canned chickpeas instead of home-cooked dried beans and I picked up a rotisserie chicken and made my go to easy lemon dressing but added garlic. At the end, this Mediterranean chicken salad was not just food it was the bomb.
Mediterranean chicken salad
The next time I plan some quality time with my kitchen I will make this Mediterranean chicken salad from A to Z because it is actually quite easy. It will just take some time to roast a chicken (or use leftover chicken) and cook the beans. I can also imagine throwing in some red peppers and maybe roasted corn cut from the cob would be a good idea and take it from Mediterranean chicken salad to maybe Mexican with oregano and…?
- 1 pound roasted chicken, shredded meat removed from the skin and bones
- 1 can (440 g / 15.5 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 170 g / 6 oz. black olives, pitted (Kalamata would be great)
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked sweet paprika (pimento dulce)
- Place chicken, beans, olives, capers, shallot, and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk lemon juice, garlic, honey, mustard, until the honey and mustard are dissolved. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until well blended.
- Pour over the Mediterranean chicken salad and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the paprika powder before serving.
- Mediterranean chicken salad can be served immediately and leftovers still tasted great the next two days.