Oats, coconuts, and walnuts mixed with maple syrup and coconut oil make these chocolate granola bars a healthy breakfast or snack.
It’s about time for homemade chocolate granola bars because they are better for you and they are less sweeter and crunchy and don’t forget the chocolate. To find the right granola bar can be quite tricky as some of them are loaded with sugar and have the nutrition of a candy bar or on the other side, the good and somewhat healthy ones tend to dig deep holes in your pockets. And then again I rely on them quite often, as a breakfast on the run, snack or even as a sweet treat with my coffee or just to save my life until the next meal is in sight. So why not make them better for you with heart-healthy oats, free from refined sugar, with good coconut oil and they are also gluten-free and vegan.
chocolate granola bars
You can swap nuts and seeds with whatever you have on hand. The maple syrup acts as a glue and makes these chocolate granola bars less crumbly but press it very well into the pan before baking to make sure everything sticks together. Actually, I put another baking pan on top and step on it to make sure everything is even and firm.
- 200g / 2 cups rolled oats (GF if needed)
- 100 g / 1¼ cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 150 g / 1¼ cups walnuts
- 60 g / ½ cup dried pitted dates
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 5 tablespoons chocolate nibs
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 160 ml / ⅔ cup maple syrup or honey
- 120 ml / ½ cup coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 175°C / 350°F and line 22 x 33 cm / 9 x 13 inch (or similar) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup (or honey) to a small bowl and heat slightly in your microwave oven to liquefy or use a small saucepan and your stove.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and add with all remaining dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Pour in the coconut oil and maple syrup mixture and stir well.
- Transfer into the baking dish and press well. Bake for 25 minutes and then let cool.
- Slice into 12 bars and store for up to 1 week in and airtight container.