Less sweeter chocolate-hazelnut overnight steel cut oats with a rich dark chocolate flavor and roasted hazelnuts for a warm aroma and crunchy texture
The evolution of my breakfast is fulfilled. I had come a long way and the days of leftover cold pizza and sugar-loaded cereals are over. Now I am grown up and should eat like one… I reheat the pizza now. No seriously I had been an enthusiastic whole grain sandwich breakfaster until I had to go gluten-free and I found myself going cold turkey with no idea how to survive on bread that taste like card box and most of them are not even healthy-ish. Lucky-me I can still have oats and a warm bowl of chocolate-hazelnut overnight steel cut oats is what lures me out of bed in the morning.
chocolate-hazelnut overnight steel cut oats
These chocolate-hazelnut overnight steel cut oats taste like a grown-up version of nutella oats however, they are less sweeter with a dark and more pronounced chocolate taste. Roasting the hazelnuts adds another layer of texture and aroma.
- 200 g / 1 ½ cups hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 160 g / 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 945 ml / 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts.
- The night before heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and roast the hazelnuts for 2 minutes. Then add the steel cut oats and continue roasting until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir well.
- Carefully pour in the water, add the vanilla extract and dates and bring to a boil. Turn off the stove, stir and cover the saucepan.
- Before you go to bed, don’t forget to stir once more, because they may clump up at the bottom of the pan otherwise.
- The next morning heat-up what you desire for breakfast and serve with dried cranberries, bananas, more roasted hazelnuts, maple syrup, berries, pears,...
- Fill the remaining chocolate-hazelnut overnight steel cut oats into an airtight container or distribute into jars, so you can grab one by one every morning before you leave the house.