What’s your idea of a perfect stay-at-home-night all alone? I netflixed the heck out of two and a half movies and ate this warm potato-lentil-apple salad until I was too full for dessert (that’s a first).
Earlier this week my dinner plans got canceled, my friend’s kid got sick and needed her mom. I felt sorry for both of them and I am sure she would rather eat sushi with me than holding a bucket… let’s not go there.
In no time I was in my comfy PJ pants and scanning the fridge for something remotely edible and saved the night with this warm potato-lentil-apple salad. Turned out what looks like a random selection is one of the best meals I had all week. It only took me 15 minutes to take some pictures for you guys (also a first) and then I scooped half of it into a bowl and set down to watch Can’t hardly wait before it’s no longer available and I don’t even know why I continued to watch it but the food was good so…
warm potato-lentil-apple salad
I roasted the yellow potatoes until they are golden brown and crisp outside and tender inside, that’s just the perfect way to prepare them. If you want to speed up the cooking time, boil them until they are almost cooked through and then roast them in the oven.
If you never sautéed onions with apples before, you will be surprised how savory and still sweet and fruity apples can be. I used a big red onion (unfortunately not very visible on the pictures) and it was just perfect.
The lentils deliver the protein in this salad and I like them very tender almost mushy, but that’s up to you. I deglazed the pan with the apple vinegar-mustard-honey mix and it makes a nice tangy dressing.
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 100 g / ½ cup green lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium apples, cored and chopped (peel on)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup apple vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- a good handful crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese
- fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Roast the potatoes: preheat oven to 250 C / 450 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel the potatoes if you like but it isn't necessary. Cut them into 2.5 cm / 1-inch cubes and toss to coat with olive oil and salt and spread out into 1 layer. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after half the time.
- Meanwhile, add lentils and water to a medium saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Strain the lentils and set aside.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion,season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until tender but not browned yet. Then add the chopped apples to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly softened and lightly browned. Add vinegar, mustard, and honey and scrape to get up all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the cooked lentils to the skillet and stir well. Reheat if necessary.
- Assemble the warm potato-lentil-apple salad: Transfer to a serving plate and arrange the roasted potatoes on top and on the side (we don't stir them with the apple-lentil mix to keep them crisp as long as possible). Sprinkle with green onions and cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.