My recipe for roasted blackberries – creamy lemon rice pudding combines the best of both worlds, flavorful roasted sweet berries with a rich and not-too-sweet rice pudding.
Rice pudding always comes in waves in my life. I really love rice pudding, but I forget it exists for weeks and then I remember the soothing effect it can have and I need to eat rice pudding for days. How can something so simple be so very much satisfying? In the cold winter days I love it still warm and topped with raisins,cinnamon or caramel sauce, but in the summer time I prefer it fruity and sometimes chilled and during these hot days in the south it’s all I need for lunch like this roasted blackberries – creamy lemon rice pudding.
roasted blackberries – creamy lemon rice pudding
For some time now I use sushi rice while regular rice puddings need 30 minutes to cook yet mine is done in 20 minutes. That makes this a quick stovetop rice pudding and means food in my bowl 10 minutes earlier. I also cook the rice with water and add cream to make it rich and creamy afterward.
For this roasted blackberries – creamy lemon rice pudding I needed to use up my blackberries but you can use any other berries you have on hand. Roasting the berries bring them to a whole new level! It concentrated the flavor and leads to a fruity and sticky syrup, that I also use for pancakes and ice cream.
- ½ pound blackberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 130 g / ⅔ cup sushi rice
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 530 ml / 2 ¼ cup water (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (plus more for serving if needed)
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup heavy cream
- For the roasted blackberries: Preheat your oven to 200C / 400°F and line a shallow baking dish with parchment paper. Place blackberries on the baking dish and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice over berries as soon as they come out of the oven.
- For the creamy lemon rice pudding: heat ½ tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan and add the sushi rice. Stir the rice over medium heat to coat the rice thoroughly. Add the water, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes. Stir the rice frequently as it cooks to get a good creamy texture. Once the rice is tender remove from the heat and add the cream and stir well.
- Spoon hot roasted blackberries over the rice pudding.