Red Beet-Pineapple Caprese salad is the perfect summertime dish! Very easy, super yummy, and good for you! This recipe makes a tasty side dish for any BBQ and a great appetizer.
We all know the classic Caprese salad with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, sprinkled with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and I basically kept the concept but swapped the tomatoes for a pineapple and red beets to make this a bit more exciting. I got to admit my favorite part of a Caprese salad is the mozzarella cheese, so soft and milky. Cheese somehow always hits the spot, therefore, tomatoes can be a hit and miss. If not in season they can be watery and lacking flavor. This is a good reason why my recipe for red beet-pineapple Caprese salad won’t let you down.
red beet-pineapple caprese salad
Red beets have an earthy flavor and they are also a bit sweet especially when roasted. They match surprising well with the tropical pineapple, which is very sweet and juicy, but can be a little tart. It also adds a nice texture to this red beet-pineapple caprese salad.
- ½ pound roasted or cooked red beets
- 1 small pineapple
- 226 g / 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut in slices
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- one small handful roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- fresh basil for garnish
- Peel the red beets and slice thinly. Use paper towels to pat the beet slices dry. This helps to prevent the red color of the beets from “bleeding” onto the pineapple and mozzarella.
- Peel the pineapple, cut into quarters, remove the core, and slice thinly.
- Arrange red beets, pineapple, and mozzarella on a plate.
- Mix vinegar, honey, and olive oil and drizzle over the Caprese salad.
- Sprinkle with hazelnuts, salt, and pepper and garnish with basil.