Let’s skip the silverware and make these quick and tasty grilled sage-pesto chicken skewers! It’s a great recipe for kids, midweek and lazy nights, parties and everyday food!
I dare to claim my garden skills evolved a bit. I would say my greatest gardening accomplishment has been the ability to keep most of the plants alive. Although one part is overgrowing with melon vines with four melon babies on the way (kind of proud!) and the other part is the weird herb section. It’s basically the size of a king size pillow with basil for tomatoes, chives for scrambled eggs, mint for cocktails and sage for chicken, there is a reason for every little herb and I had big plans for them. So far they are doing great, being green and smelling nice but the weird part is they won’t grow. I took pictures from before and they haven’t changed a bit after weeks! My eggs stayed chive-free this summer and I ended up buying fresh sage for this recipe for grilled sage-pesto chicken skewers just because I don’t have the heart to crop off the little sage leaves. So I guess I keep watering my little plants, eat melons and hope for the best…
grilled sage-pesto chicken skewers
I don’t know what’s about putting food on a stick, but it just tastes better. And it’s kind of convenient, especially as party food. This grilled sage-pesto chicken skewers are also great as an appetizer or wrap them up and bring them to a picnic. I even love them when they are cold.
The sage and garlic just work great with any poultry and the parmesan cheese in the pesto creates a thin cheesy layer. It’s a very easy recipe and homemade pesto is the best! You can freeze leftovers or see the recipe notes for more tips.
If you like more recipes to put on sticks or eat with your hands check out prosciutto wrapped halloumi cheese-pineapple bites…. Get more yummy chicken recipes: chicken shawarma burger, Korean chicken wings, or spicy grilled chicken drumsticks!
- 10 bamboo skewers
- ¾ cup fresh sage
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley
- 30 g / ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 60 ml / ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g / ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless (cut into 10 strips)
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for at least 15 minutes. Preheat your outdoor grill for high heat.
- Place sage, parsley, walnuts, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until you receive a coarse paste.
- With the machine running, slowly add olive oil. Add the cheese and process very briefly, just long enough to combine.
- Thread each of the chicken strips onto one of the soaked skewers and generously rub or brush with about ½ of the sage pesto.
- Oil the grill grate and grill the skewers, turning once until the chicken is no longer pink and cooked through for about 2 to 3 minutes per side and has brown, crispy edges. Brush with more sage pesto and serve immediately.