Prosciutto Wrapped Halloumi Cheese-Pineapple Bites are amazing and flavorful and the perfect bite size appetizer to impress your guests.
Oh dear! The 50’s called they want to bring the Toast Hawaii back. In case you don’t know what I am talking about, I am not sure if this was/is only a typically German thing but when I grew up (and NO I didn’t grow up in the 50’s) Toast Hawaii was something, my mom (yes she grew up in the 50’s) would throw together for a fast dinner. It’s an open sandwich, a slice of toast layered with ham, a slice of pineapple and cheese grilled in the oven until the cheese is melted and at the end, you place a maraschino cherry in the middle of the pineapple. Toast Hawaii is actually the perfect party food and can still be found on some bar menus. However, there is always room for improvements even with a classic dish like this one.
prosciutto wrapped halloumi cheese-pineapple bites
So I got rid of the ole toast, jazzed up the remaining ingredients and let’s say hello to prosciutto wrapped halloumi cheese-pineapple bites. The gooey halloumi cheese is the excellent match for the sweet and juicy pineapple. Wrapped in prosciutto the three are a perfect savory-sweet flavor combo.
- about ½ large pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 24 pieces
- 200 g / 7 oz. halloumi cheese
- 150 g / 5.3 oz. prosciutto (12 slices cut in half)
- Preheat your oven to 175 C / 350 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the halloumi cheese into 24 wedges.
- Top each pineapple chunk with one piece of halloumi cheese and wrap with half a slice prosciutto, place seam side up. Secure each with a toothpick and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until prosciutto is deep golden brown and crispy.