This is an easy no fuss and luscious Cherry Cheesecake Semifreddo recipe! It is perfect to end a dinner on hot summer days and great for gatherings and parties.
Finally, the weekend is just around the corner and I am preparing this cherry cheesecake semifreddo to share with friends. While taste-testing
too much, a lot, a bit because a proper quality check is always necessary, I was thinking about how all this started for me. I am talking about getting together with friends to forget the week and celebrate the weekend or any other occasion.
I still remember those days when throwing a party meant to make a trip to the grocery store to get a pack of beer and potato chips. We would run out of drinks every time, this happened quite often, most of the time because the invitation would say to bring something and the host wasn’t talking about your friend Mark. We were stony-broke most of the time.
The next step of progress was a big bowl of tzatziki and pita bread for dipping. Of cause there was no plates and silverware, it was a mess but still food. At one point we clinked our glasses with wine – yes, real glassware – fancy but not the wine at all! However those days have a sparkling glow, it was a great time and maybe it is a good thing I don’t remember everything… Nowadays our (let’s call them) grown–up parties include nice wine, cocktails, good food on plates and there are napkins. Thank god for evolution!
cherry cheesecake semifreddo
Let’s beat the heat with a summer party and I’ll sign up to bring the dessert anytime. Cherry cheesecake semifreddo is a classic and decadent Italian dessert (maybe not the cheesecake part?) while it is cold and creamy like ice cream, it is much simpler to make and literally means “half cold”.
The texture of this creamy semifreddo is somewhere between cheesecake and rich ice cream and the flavor comes from fruity and sweet cherries with refreshing lime. I took a few shortcuts and didn’t use any eggs. If you can whip cream you can make this cherry cheesecake semifreddo. You’re going to love it!
- 230 g / 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 200g / ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 150 g / ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 300 g / 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted, quartered
- 300 g /1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- fresh cherries for garnish
- Put a metal bowl and your beater into the freezer for a few minutes.
- Line a standard-size loaf pan with aluminum foil so that the foil hangs over the lip of the pan – optional - but you can use this lining to unmold the frozen cherry cheesecake semifreddo later.
- Put the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, lime juice, and grated zest in the bowl of a stand mixer or another large bowl, with the paddle or whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, beat until very creamy.
- Add cherries and stir until well combined.
- Remove the bowl and the beater from the refrigerator, add cream into the bowl and beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula carefully fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Evenly fill the pan with the semifreddo, gently cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Unmold the semifreddo onto a cutting board or serving plate and let it sit for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Remove the aluminum foil and cut the semifreddo into slices and place on plates. Garnish each slice with fresh cherries.