Had enough of hummus? This recipe for caramel-berry-wine jam & whipped basil feta is coming to your rescue! It’s the perfect appetizer, snack or light dinner.
This might sound strange coming from someone who’s second thought is what’s for breakfast every morning (first thought is coffee, it goes without saying) but my stomach seems to shrink with rising temperatures outside. However, no need to be concerned my appetite is well and I tend to snack through the day. Here and there a salad, a handful nuts or some fruits is enough for most parts of the day and yes I can make a whole meal out of an ice cream bowl.
I must have eaten my weight in hummus these days – overkill for sure because I need a break from carrots and hummus. Flavorful dips and spreads are excellent choices for summer nights and I was in need for an alternative. This is where caramel-berry-wine jam & whipped basil feta come into play.
Psychologists and scientists might be still talking about if and how opposites attract but this caramel-berry-wine jam & basil whipped feta is proof that at least in the culinary world – they for sure do!
Have you ever smeared marmalade on your cheese sandwich? Growing up one of my friends turned me onto this and I loved it. This combination of sweet, fruity, tangy, and creamy was the starting point for my recipe for caramel-berry-wine jam & whipped basil feta.
caramel-berry-wine jam & whipped basil feta
I caramelized the sugar, it’s one more step but worth it for the extra flavor, added berries and wine and simmered this until thick and bubbly. I also added a little bit balsamic vinegar for a brighter flavor not to make it sour and some butter for decadence. To balance the caramel-berry-wine jam, I whipped up a creamy feta dip.
Whipped feta with fresh basil is a quick and easy spread or dip and no stranger in my fridge. I love the tangy and salty taste of feta cheese as is, but when whipped with yogurt and basil it’s much creamier and you can use it for flatbreads, baked potatoes…
- For the caramel-berry-wine jam:
- 50 g / ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup water
- ½ pound strawberries or blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 160 ml / ⅔ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- For the basil whipped feta:
- 300 g / 10.6 oz. feta (from sheep milk), drained
- 60 g / ¼ cup whole milk yogurt or cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- For the caramel-berry-wine jam: Cook the sugar and water at a medium-high temperature in a medium saucepan (heavy-bottomed and high sided), stirring constantly until it the sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook until golden brown (takes about 8-12 minutes). From time to time you can tilt and swirl the saucepan gently for an even melting but don’t stir. Add the berries of your choice and red wine and cook for 10 minutes over low heat. Add balsamic vinegar and butter and stir until the butter is melted. Let cool. The caramel-berry-wine jam will thicken as it cools. Makes 150 ml / ⅔ cup.
- For the basil whipped feta: In a food processor or blender add feta, yogurt, olive oil, and basil leaves and puree (scraping down the sides if necessary) until creamy. Add a bit more yogurt or water to make it thinner if needed.