This recipe for gluten-free grapefruit cake with strawberry sauce is made with a whole grapefruit simmered and pureed. It’s awesome in texture, color and flavor.
Can I just say this out loud?! It’s raining with a little thunder mixed in and I love it. For once I don’t have to water my little yard with the tiny plants that may give me chili peppers and melons in a few month, most likely I will kill them sooner or later. It’s going to be my black thumb or that mean critter that is eating those tiny leaves. I only have little hopes. But let’s appreciate this weather and make the best out of it. It’s a great day to stay inside and enjoy a little coziness, the summer heat will get to us soon enough. It’s also a nice day to get busy in the kitchen. I am already looking forward to dinner, it will be this Mexican chicken soup I need to use up all this roasted chicken from last weekend. Earlier I turned on the oven and baked this grapefruit cake with strawberry sauce. It’s a great day for soup, hot coffee, and of cause cake.
grapefruit cake with strawberry sauce
I already cooked the grapefruit two days ago, this took two hours but it’s nothing you have to watch all the time. The rest of the process is quite easy, as long as you don’t leave your stove unattended for one second while making caramel, such a rookie mistake but if I need to listen to music…
This is not your ordinary pound cake. If you like grapefruit you will love the bitterness and the citrus flavor in this grapefruit cake with strawberry sauce. I topped it with a strawberry sauce because the caramel and the strawberries in the sauce are a great match and balance the bitterness of the grapefruit. I thought about serving this grapefruit cake with strawberry sauce and whipped cream but opted out for plain yogurt because of the tanginess.
- For the grapefruit cake:
- 1 ruby red grapefruit (about 400g)
- 160 g / 1 cup corn flour (not starch)
- 40 g / ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 110 g / ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 150 g / ¾ cup granulated sugar
- For the strawberry sauce:
- 100g / ½ cup granulated sugar
- 180 ml / ¾ cup water
- ½ pound strawberries
- 30 g / 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- plain yogurt for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash the grapefruit (unpeeled) and simmer covered for 2 hours. Remove from the pot and let rest until cool enough to handle. Cut into chunks and remove the seeds. Puree the oranges in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Grease a 20 cm / 8-inch spring form cake tin.
- Cream the butter, eggs, and sugar until fluffy. Stir in the pureed grapefruit, corn flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 15 minutes. Remove from the tin, and cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with the strawberry sauce and plain yogurt.
- Make the strawberry sauce: Melt the sugar at high temperatures in a wide, heavy-bottomed pot, until it is golden brown. The edges and bottom will melt first, but don’t stir the sugar yet. Just tilt and swirl the pan gently for an even melting. Add the water, strawberries, and the butter and cook until the strawberries soften. Let cool.