These gluten-free Strawberry-Banana-Chocolate Muffins are made with oat flour and sweetened with ripe bananas and coconut sugar.
Even down here in the South, strawberry being in season is rather wishful thinking. Strawberries exert a magical pull over me. They are the first berries on the market and proclaim sunshine, juiciness, and sweetness. That’s why I am a sucker for them. But they fool me every year.
After the first bite, I realize they are a fraud and a disappointment. Looking like the real deal but they lack flavor, this can only come from a proper load of sunshine, which just can’t have happened yet. But sometimes I get lucky and they are what they should be. Yesterday I found very good ones, ate most of them and saved only a few for these strawberry-banana-chocolate muffins.
These muffins are made without butter or oil instead I used Greek yogurt to keep them moist. This is not an over sweet recipe these strawberry-banana-chocolate muffins are sweetened with ripe bananas and coconut sugar, which makes them great for a healthy and quick breakfast or for a snack. I also used oat flour and brown rice flour to make them gluten-free. You can easily make your own oat flour at home using your food processor. Homemade brown rice can be more tricky but not a problem either, you’ll need a powerful blender.
- 2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 115 g / ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (0% is fine)
- 150 g / 5.3 oz. coconut sugar
- 150 g / 5.3 oz. oat flour
- 50 g / 1.8 oz. brown rice flour
- 20 g / 3 ½ Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- 6 strawberries, hulled
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- Place bananas, eggs yogurt and sugar in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add oat flour, brown rice flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix just until just combined. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cups.
- Cut the strawberries in half and slice each half into thirds. Place one half strawberry (three slices) on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.