Mayo-free wasabi-avocado egg salad anyone? Looking for an upgrade on the traditional egg salad? This recipe for wasabi-avocado egg salad is for you!
Actually, I really love mayo and I always order french fries with it. But egg salad calls for an insane amount of it and this can’t be good for us! That’s the reason why I avoided egg salad for ages. Until I happened to have a mountain of hard-boiled eggs hanging around, due to my failed experiment to naturally coloring eggs. It’s just too messy, I blame myself, I had red beet stains all over me. My kitchen looked like a crime scene! There will be eggs in purgatory (Indian flavored) on Easter Sunday, just to avoid another epic kitchen clean-up session.
wasabi-avocado egg salad
Avocado is an incredibly healthy food and loaded with good for you fat and it’s quite obvious why it’s a great choice. To bypass the taste of an eggy guacamole, I added wasabi and cayenne pepper and it works great. This is a tasty and chunky mayo-free wasabi-avocado egg salad with a nice texture and a spicy kick. Think of this wasabi-avocado egg salad as a kind of deviled egg salad, but with a crunchy tart apple for balance.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, cooled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp. wasabi paste
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small tart apple (Granny Smith), peeled and chopped
- salt and cayenne pepper
- Peel and roughly chop the eggs.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a medium bowl, add wasabi and lemon juice and mash with a fork.
- Add eggs, apple and chives. Season with salt and cayenne pepper and add more wasabi if you like, stir carefully.
- Serve on bread as a sandwich, crackers or over crisp lettuce as a salad.