I have to admit after I started roasting Brussels sprouts, I thought there is no way I would ever go back to boil them and even like it. Nevertheless I cooked them with coconut milk added some crunchy Brussels sprout chips and a sweet and spicy drizzle and now I can’t stop eating it. Although Mr. F first expressed: “this looks weird” and I almost took away his bowl. He instantly loved the taste, but didn’t change his mind about the look of it. Well he is kind of right…
Do you remember my recipe for jalapeno jelly glazed Brussels sprouts from a couple of months ago? This is a spin of it, a side dish/appetizer transformed into a soup. This recipe for Coconut – Brussels Sprout Soup yields into a thick and creamy soup topped with Brussels sprout chips and a Jalapeno pepper jelly drizzle, I used the Ja-Ha (Jalapeño-Habanero) from Mrs. G’s jellies. It’s a perfect quick and easy weeknight meal, especially for chilly winter nights.
- ½ kg / 18 oz. Brussels sprouts
- ½ liter / 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Jalapeno pepper jelly
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Separate a few outer leaves and set aside (you need about 2 handful). Halve vertically any large Brussels sprouts.
- Add Brussels sprouts (not the leaves), chicken broth, coconut milk and salt to a large pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
- Cool slightly, before you pour the soup into a blender. Blend soup until smooth, and then return it to the pot.
- To make the Brussels sprout chips: heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprout leaves and sear until browned, some of them might be even dark brown or black. Add garlic and cook until light golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add Jalapeno pepper jelly and water to the pan and cook shortly. Scrape the pan with a spatula to get the last bits of the garlic.
- Reheat the soup and check the seasoning. Add more broth or water if needed (tends to thicken a bit after sitting a while).
- Serve the soup topped with the Brussels sprout chips and drizzle with Jalapeno jam sauce.