Winter mornings are cold and brutal and the only thing, that keeps me from pulling my blanki over my head and just staying in bed until spring shows up, is the smell of fresh coffee and the pleasant anticipation of breakfast in a bowl. It’s a bit of a yawn that this bowl had been filled with banana oatmeal for too many mornings. I don’t want to break up my relationship with oats, but we slipped in a boring slump. Things had to be tuned-up a notch! I took my oatmeal bowl on an imaginary exotic island vacation and brought home a tropical Bircher muesli.
After soaking the oats in orange juice for one hour, they stay chewy and keep their texture, at the same time they get infused with orange flavor. Adding the dried pineapple to this, will rehydrate them and makes them plumb and moist. Go for a run and take a shower, when you come back, stir in some yogurt and chop up the fruits and nuts and breakfast is served.
- 75 g / ¾ cup old fashioned oats (gluten free if needed)
- one good handful of dried pineapple chunks
- 120 ml / ½ cup orange juice (fresh pressed would be best)
- ½ mango
- 1 kiwi
- 6 Brazilian nuts, roughly chopped
- 150 g / ⅔ cup yoghurt (non-fat is fine)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
- In a medium bowl add oats, pineapple chunks and orange juice and stir well. Let soak for 1 hour or overnight.
- Peel and cube the mango. Remove the peel from the kiwi and slice it into pieces. Coarsely chop the Brazilian nuts.
- Add the yogurt to the oat mixture and divide into two bowls.
- Top with mango, kiwi and Brazilian nuts and drizzle with maple syrup if you like it sweeter.