This sweet potato and peanut stew with kale is thick and loaded with chunks of sweet potatoes, the peanut butter makes it creamy and balances the warm spices.
It rained all day last Sunday. It was cold, dark and unpleasant outside. I loved it! We cozied up together on the couch and sipped on hot chocolate laced with dark rum. It was my turn to pick a movie from my long need-to-watch list and I chose Hector and the Search for Happiness. At first, Mr.F tried to veto, but without success and soon we both liked it a lot. Have you watched it? The recipe for sweet potato and peanut stew with kale is inspired by this movie. Now we could theorize about happiness, but it will go beyond the scope of a blog post. Can we both agree on: you can find happiness in cooking a sweet potato and peanut stew with kale for you family?
sweet potato and peanut stew with kale
Needless to say, this movie left me craving for sweet potato and peanut stew. Actually, I didn’t make it for the first time. Now and then I cook a version with chicken. I prefer this vegetarian version though, it’s even easier and much faster and therefore perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 teaspoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (411g / 14.5 oz.)
- 950 ml / 4 cups of water or broth
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 jalapeño chili pepper, seeds and veins removed, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon. ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ bunch of kale stems removed and chopped
- a rounded handful (about 50 g / 1.8 oz. ) roasted and salted peanuts, chopped
- a few springs of cilantro for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté briefly, but don’t let it brown.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, water, peanut butter, jalapeño chili pepper, ginger, cumin, coriander seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in kale and cook shortly until wilted.
- Serve with cilantro and peanuts.