Who is afraid of the dark? Torrential rain? Thunderstorms and lightning? Anyone? Bummer! I would raise my hand because it’s the best excuse and occasion to enjoy this appled dark ‘n’ stormy. This cocktail is named after the “color of a cloud only a fool or a dead man would sail under”. At the time I lived in Kansas City, tornadoes occurred frequently and my friend Susan told me, she would take her dogs, a pitcher of margaritas and drive over to her mom’s house. The two of them would chat and have some drinks in the basement, while over their head all hell breaks loose. What a great way to use otherwise lost time! Luckily tornadoes are rare in Atlanta, but I can close my curtains and pretend… and mix some appled dark ‘n’ stormy.
appled dark ‘n’ stormy
I didn’t change that much of the original recipe, after all, it’s a classic and why mess with it? Yet last Friday night I had to rationalize the ginger beer due to miscommunication, I was told we have “some” at home. Unfiltered apple juice had been a good choice to make our happy hour go further and it softens the bite from ginger beer. As Mr. F is not such a fan ginger beer, he likes it even better with apple juice.
- 60 ml / 2 oz. dark rum preferably Gosling’s Black Seal Rum
- 60 ml / 2 oz. ginger beer
- 45 ml / 1.5 oz. unfiltered apple juice
- 3 dashes of your favorite bitter (optional)
- ice cubes
- apple and lemon slices for garnish
- Add rum, ginger beer, apple juice, bitters and ice cubes to a glass and stir.
- Garnish with apple and lemon slices and serve!