Although I already live in the big ATL, urban getaways are still on the top of my list. Last weekend I got the opportunity to spend a few days in Nashville, TN and I was all in. If you think about Nashville and think nothing but country music, you have no idea what you are missing out. For sure Nashville is called Music City not without a (damn good) reason but this city also offers an amazing wide range of restaurants with outstanding Southern cuisine, trendy shops, thriving neighborhoods, cozy coffee shops and of cause honky tonks with all day and night live music. But this here is not a tourist guide, this is about the great dinner I had at City House which inspired me to this pan-fried kale, cannellini beans with salami. Imagine one half of your parents is from Italy and the other from the Southern US and you have a knack for cocktails, this is what dinner at City House looks like.
Due to a let’s call it misunderstanding about reserving a table, we arrived and I thought there is no way we will get food that night. The host wowed me with getting seats for us in two minutes. We had been seated at the bar, just for a drink until a table would open up. But we decided to stay there because we had fun watching the bar tender and chatting with other guests. Needless to mention, this dinner was all we could hope for and more.
Let’s talk about this kale, yes kale again, it’s everywhere and there is a reason for that. It’s rather random that something tasty is actually also good for you. But if you are supporting the again the kale brigade, this doesn’t have to stop you from eating this dish, just substitute with your favorite greens for this recipe. The overall flavor picture is a combination of hearty and tangy. The salami adds an Italian spin and also great texture to the dish. And don’t worry about leftovers, rethink and hope for it. Give it a short reheat in the pan and top it with a fried egg sunny side up.
- 140 g / 5 oz. salami (Rosette de Lyon), sliced into stripes
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ bunch (300 g / 10.5 oz.) kale, stems removed
- ½ - 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 3 handfuls Cannellini beans, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- about ½ red onion, sliced or pickled onions
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the olive oil and the salami. Fry the salami until it begins to get crisp and render some fat, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the salami from the pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess grease. Spoon all but 2 tablespoons of fat out of the pan.
- Add the kale and the salt to the pan and increase the heat to high. Move the kale around the pan cooking the kale until wilted and tender (about 10 minutes), the leaves should be still dark green and slightly firm. The kale will collapse as it hits the heat.
- Move the kale from the pan to a bowl, top with Cannellini beans and fried salami.
- To prepare the dressing: add the garlic to the pan and sauté until pale golden, remove from the heat and add Worcestershire sauce and vinegar and stir well. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve hot.