White chili is one of those comforting weekday dinners I can knock up, while doing laundy, and I am faster and beating the pizza guy every time.
Mr. F came up with the idea to spend the weekend in a cabin in the mountains and I didn’t think twice. We packed in a flurry and left about 30 minutes later. I hastily stuffed my camera and a bottle of wine into the bag and forgot what obviously ranks lower on my list of important stuff that I might need when I am travelling. So I had to hit the store to get a toothbrush and shampoo. Higher on my list beside fun was also food because I bought this creamy white chili.
The next day we enjoyed the leftovers for late lunch after a long hike up and down the mountains and it tasted just the same or even better. White chili is a yummy source for protein and fiber, therefor being tasty and good for your. Mr. F is not into cilantro so I used flat-leaf or Italian parsley.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (or a mix of both)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, mince
- 475 ml / 2 cups chicken broth
- 80 ml / ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 125 g / ½ cup sweet corn, drained
- fine sea salt
- fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 2 green chili peppers like Serrano or Jalapeno (not as hot), white ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Add ground meat, season with salt and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 3 more minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add broth, cream, cumin, and cayenne pepper, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, salt and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Before serving adjust seasonings to taste, sprinkle with green chili peppers and fresh cilantro (or parsley) and serve hot with bread and/or rice.