This is a healthy and refreshing recipe for watermelon gazpacho for hot summer days with a little sweetness from the watermelon, fire roasted tomatoes and hot spices.
When Mr. Wayne Watermelon met Mrs. Tina Tomato, it was love at first sight. They knew, from their heart, they are meant to be as one. Sad but true, not only their parents couldn’t wrap their mind around this relationship, the fruit, and vegetable community was doubtful regarding their future. Only Susie Strawberry was jealous, she had a crush on Mr. Wayne Watermelon since nursery garden days but never told him. In her distress, she said mean things like: “If Wayne accidently sits down on Tina, she will be ketchup.”
They had a rough start into their life as a couple. But in spite of the reactions from their families and friends (everyone else thought they don’t have a lot in common) they knew they belong together. Everyone else was not that wrong… Mr. Wayne Watermelon likes it cold and refreshing and spends most of his day in the refrigerator. For this reason, Mrs. Tina Tomato was not delighted to move in with him, she knew: she doesn’t belong there. She likes it spicy and hot, fire roasted hot to be precise.
“What’s meant to be will always find a way.” (Trisha Yearwood)
And they found a way to maneuver around their challenges and soon after their marriage, became a happy family. Their first-grown was Paco (Red Bell) Paprika, followed by Olga (Green) Onion and baby Lisa Lemon. Together they are the Gazpachos and they are here to feed you on a hot summer day. And they lived happily together until…
- 550 g / 19.4 oz. seedless watermelon, diced
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. (about ½) red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 can (14.4 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ¼ - ½ tsp. cayenne pepper powder
- ¼ tsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika powder
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Combine watermelon, bell pepper, canned tomatoes (with juice) and scallions in a large bowl.
- Add the spices, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Mix well and chill at least one hour before serving or over night.