by Eva Felis on January 15, 2013
I kind of told the news at the front door and revealed already in the post title that we are talking about serious breakfast cake eating. And now you may wonder what’s the big difference between regular and breakfast cake? Yes me too… Here is my explanation in a nutshell: breakfast cake is still a meal not a dessert (let’s pretend), it’s more dense like a muffin, less sweater but no not healthier at all.
This cake stuck around for four days last week. It sat on the kitchen table and shrank as if by magic. We were constantly cutting off a piece, a slice or a corner. Sometimes when I had the need for something sweet, I drizzled honey on top or coated it with homemade marmalade. And yes there is booze in my breakfast cake and there is nothing wrong with that, but you might want to skip it if you feed it to kids.
Double banana & cherry breakfast cake
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 -3 very ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 200 g / 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 85 g / 1 ½ cup dried cherries
- 2 Tbsp. brandy, bourbon or other booze (optional)
- 100 g/ 1 1/3 banana chips
- 1 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F and grease your 18 cm / 7 inch round cake pan or springform pan.
- In a small bowl add dried cherry and brandy and let soak for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl measure flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Add banana chips to the bowl of your food processor and pulse until you have tiny pieces, some might be pulverized that’s ok. Remove and set aside.
- Add oil, maple syrup, ripe bananas and egg to the bowl of your food processor (attached with the blade) and run the motor for 10 seconds.
- Add flour mix and pulse just until combined. Add cherries and banana chips crumbs and pulse shortly.
- Pour batter into cake pan, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and bake until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean for about 35 to 40 minutes.
Use 2 large or 3 small bananas!
Latest posts by Eva Felis (see all)
- I need to tell you… - March 18, 2015
- collard greens, black eyed peas and ham hock gratin - March 8, 2015
- St. Simons Island is for lovers - February 27, 2015
- marzipan budino with caramelized applesauce - February 23, 2015
- kung pao brussels sprouts - February 11, 2015