by Eva Felis on November 22, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving guys, I hope you all had a great day. My day started with morning coffee in my bed, the sun was shining and I had this comforting certainty for once not to hurry through the day. I had this chocolate cake with cranberry for breakfast and some delicious turkey later. And in between I just wasted the day, read some magazines, listened to music, went for a walk, drank more coffee and talked with Mr. F about meaningless but important things.
As it was just the two of us for Thanksgiving this year, but I still liked the idea of keeping it ‘traditional’, I skipped the whole bird but couldn’t resist and went for a German recipe for turkey legs. As there is no way of taking a sexy picture of a turkey leg under time pressure, the problem was, I would get in big trouble, if I would make Mr. F stop eating because I need to take some pictures. I hope you understand… so let me know if you are interested in the recipe and I’ll post it in the comments or write you an email.
This being said, let’s talk about cake. Yes you are right I did it again: cranberry. We just had cranberry and apple tart with coconut streusel last time but the thing is, I went a little nuts with this berries and bought a 3 lb. bag which is sitting in my refrigerator. So we had a lot of cranberries in every kind of manner around here. Last weekend I made a cranberry bread with chocolate pieces, though I liked it very much, my guts said: more chocolate. I went back and forth with a brownie recipe and finally decided to go really chocolatey. This flourless chocolate cake is very rich, dense and a little crumbly. I chopped the cranberries in a food processor for just a few seconds, but you can chop them by hand of cause, if you like. They bring an interesting tartness to the cake, which goes so well with the sweet richness. Is it just me or do this cranberry pieces on top look like bacon bites? Well it’s not bacon, sorry for those I have to disappoint right now. Though I already had bacon covered with chocolate, a bacon chocolate cake seams to me kind of gross. Don’t ya think?
flourless chocolate cake with cranberries
- 130 g / 9 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 200 g / 7 oz. semisweet chocolate*, cut in pieces
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 130 g / 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 140 g / 5 oz. ground hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 150 g / 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries, chopped
for the glaze:
- 80 g / 2.8 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 40 g / 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F and grease your 24 cm / 9 inch springform pan.
- Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler or microwave oven and let cool.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until pale. Add melted chocolate with butter and mix shortly.
- Add hazelnuts, cocoa powder, salt and cranberries and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into batter.
- Transfer batter into springform pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cake will still be soft in the middle and firm than cold.
- For the glaze: melt remaining chocolate with tablespoon butter and spread evenly over cake and sprinkle with chopped dried cranberries.
*I used a mix of different kinds of chocolate, you should use at least one with 45% cocoa but not more than 60% cocoa content.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Latest posts by Eva Felis (see all)
- I need to tell you… - March 18, 2015
- collard greens, black eyed peas and ham hock gratin - March 8, 2015
- St. Simons Island is for lovers - February 27, 2015
- marzipan budino with caramelized applesauce - February 23, 2015
- kung pao brussels sprouts - February 11, 2015