by Eva Felis on November 8, 2012
Yesterday I was pretty proud about my workout. Today I walk as elegant as a cowboy after a long day on his horse’ back. My muscles are soar and it takes me double the time to get up from a chair. Let me tell you about my gym, now that I am about to move soon, I kind of look at thinks with a different eye. First on the way there I have to pass a school, so I make sure not to hit the road at arrival or departure time of hundred of small kids with their crazy mums. If there wouldn’t be two policemen and a school crossing guard dealing with the traffic, I don’t know how anyone could survive this chaos. In case I left the school behind me and I am still willing to drive further to the gym, a higher force is testing me again. I can see my favorite pie shop on the right and the temptation is strong to pull over and get a slice of fruity or creamy pie. But (mostly) I am strong and reach the gym finally. Holding my key tag under the scanner an enthusiastic computer voice wishes me: “have a great workout”. It’s so stupid, kind and mean on the same time. I am so sorry for the nice guys working there and hearing this all day long. The next thing I notice, is the burned coffee smell. Especially in the morning this place is a meeting point for senior citizens and this gang likes to hang out, chat and have a cuppa. It is a cozy atmosphere but the coffee smell hits me like a punch in the face (nose). The black water is simmering for a very long time until bitter and lacking any flavor. Though I am not sure if there had been any in the first place.
I head downstairs while passing the squash courts and a mixed smell of testosterone, sport shoes and good old men sweet creeps up my nose. I instinctively start mouth breathing and walk faster, it is the only survival strategy that works. Finally I arrive at the treadmill. Sometimes I run like a young god, but sometimes you know…
I am not very sporty, I’ve never been. If it wouldn’t be for health reasons I don’t believe I would workout just for fun, that’s for sure. Biking and all that fun sport is a different chapter, that me like. After a good workout in the morning, I surely deserve a nice brown butter and hazelnut scone with a hot cup of coffee, freshly brewed of cause.
I know we had a lot brown butter lately and even the brown butter and hazelnut combination as a granola, but why change a winning team? I could bath in brown butter and hazelnuts are my favorite.
brown butter and hazelnut scones
- 100 g / ¾ cup spelt flour
- 150 g / 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 50 g / ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 65 g / 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- 130 g / 1 cup hazelnuts
- 100 g / 7 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 120 ml / ½ cup milk (2%)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- egg wash: 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. cold water whisk until combined
- 1.5 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200 C / 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add butter and cook, stirring frequently (it will foam) until you see small brown specks, remove from heat, strain and let cool.
- Process oatmeal in your food processor until it looks like coarse meal.
- Place hazelnuts on baking sheet and roast in your oven for 5 to 7 minutes, keep an eye on them, they turn black in a blink. Let cool. Grind in your food processor until fine.
- Pour milk into a small bowl, add egg and vanilla extract, whisk until incorporated.
- Blend flours, oatmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and hazelnuts in your food processor. Add brown butter and pulse to combine, add milk mix and pulse again. Be careful not to over process.
- Using a ¼ cup cookie or ice cream scoop place balls on baking sheet, flatten until ½ – ¾ inch thick. Lightly brush with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado (raw) sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes, let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Latest posts by Eva Felis (see all)
- St. Simons Island is for lovers - February 27, 2015
- marzipan budino with caramelized applesauce - February 23, 2015
- kung pao brussels sprouts - February 11, 2015
- roasted chicken breasts with honey, rosemary and red wine - January 31, 2015
- lemony red beet and sweet potato soup - January 22, 2015