by Eva Felis on October 19, 2012
Fall snuck up on me. Of cause I sensed the crisp mornings but the warm and sunny afternoons let me ignore everything about it. I postponed admitting that it’s about to become fall as long as I could, but there is actually no good reason for it. I appreciate every season, although I am good with a short winter.
Last spring I ambitiously tried to grow something in my yard and started to sow different variations of beans, tomatoes and bell paprika. All I learned was, you can’t just activate a green thumb, there is no switch for that. Everything grew more or less, but no flowers, no veggies and no harvest. The only exception was basil, though I didn’t even put in any effort, I was pleased with fresh basil whenever I wanted. Signore Basil is now up to my hips, the stalks are like thin branches and I am sad to see his leaves getting brown and falling down, it’s fall for him too.
Since I made this grilled peppercorn-crusted filet mignon for the first time I am in love with infused oils. Therefor you have to simmer pepper corns in oil then crush them and cover a steak all other with it. Afterwards the oil has a nice peppery flavor and I discovered it for many uses in my kitchen. The idea suggest itself, why not transform my basil bush into basil infused oil? Beside having a tasty oil on hand the other advantage is, I use up some of my basil. So what’s next? One gallon of pesto?
Recipe: basil infused oil
- 35 g / 1.2 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 240 ml / 1 cup sunflower oil
- Wash and dry basil leaves (salad spinner). Add basil and oil to your food processor or blender. Puree until very smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer for one minute.
- Remove from stove and strain through fine mesh sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth or paper towel to remove small basil pieces. Fill in a jar and use for salad dressings, drizzle over soup, dip for bread, seasoning or for marinating.
A blender yields to a faster result but I prefer the food processor because it’s cleans easily in the dishwasher.
Latest posts by Eva Felis (see all)
- mini-cheesecakes with hazelnuts and caramelized apples - October 8, 2015
- september favorites - September 30, 2015
- cauliflower and spinach salad with grapes and blue cheese - September 28, 2015
- plum grütze with red wine - September 15, 2015
- pineapple coconut pie - August 19, 2015