A tasty recipe for a summery refreshing raw (grated) radish salad with roasted nuts, great as a healthy, vegan and gluten-free side dish.
For a couple of weeks now the weather had been hot in the heartlands (I know I am not telling you any news). On the contrary to good old Germany where rain and cool temperature let my family drink hot tea at night. I read an article about a smart business idea to set up vending machines for umbrellas. It already started in some bigger cities and soon will be over 400 of them. And obviously, there is a need for that in Germany.
I wish for rain several times a day but I still refrain from doing a rain dance in my backyard, just because it’s too hot for that, you know…
Every time I open the door to take my dog for a walk it’s the same procedure: immediately my sunglasses are fogging up because of the high humidity, this air moisture makes my suncream transforms into a sticky mess. It’s not fun being outside, let’s just say I am constantly uncomfortable, disregarding to the heat which hits me like someone slapped me in my face and takes my breath away.
Most of the times we barely make it to the next corner. I can hear Lily’s claws scratching on the pavement behind me, it sounds like Freddy Krueger is slowly chasing me. By the time she is panting and her tongue is reaching a noticeable length, I know I have to turn around. Every time on my way home I pass a sign, there are the names and house numbers in two columns on top of that it says: dead end. And it looks like ‘dead’ is living in the first house and ‘end’ just across the street.
Nope, it’s not fun being outside and I have to admit I am not a southern gal. Thanks to the heat I am not in the mood for most kinds of food and eat more cookies than I should. But I am trying hart to resist and came up with some salad variations.
radish salad with roasted nuts
Some time ago I had been in New York and found radish salad with nuts on a restaurant’s menu but didn’t try it because it was winter, so radishes were not in season and I was craving for hot soup. But this radish salad with roasted nuts seems to be just right for this summer heat. The sugar gives the salad just a little bit of necessary sweetness without making it taste like candy and the roasted nuts are crunchy and work great with the sesame oil. I sprinkled the radishes with salt to reduce the heat, if you think you can handle it, you can skip this step.
- 1 pound fresh radishes
- a good handful mixed nuts (any kind you like will be great)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dijon or other mustard
- parsley or cilantro for decoration
- Wash, trim and grate the radishes, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and sugar and mix well. Cover and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, overnight works too.
- Roast the nuts: heat your dry pan over medium-high heat, add the nuts and stir frequently. Have an eye on them, nuts burn quickly. Remove from the pan as soon they are nicely browned and smell toasted and fragrant. Let cool before you chop them.
- For the dressing mix lemon juice with mustard and then add sesame oil and olive oil, stir well.
- Just before serving drain the liquid from the radish salad, add the nuts and the dressing and sprinkle with some chopped parsley or mint. You can prepare all the components a day ahead, cover airtight and refrigerate the dressing and the radishes and resemble shortly before eating the salad.