This is a delicious recipe for cevapcici: minced meat formed sausage-like with onion and garlic, wrapped in bacon and grilled. It’s also great for parties because it’s simple and can be assembled ahead of time.
Big news for 1 big bite: last week’s post about my favorite summer drinks: iced coffee, strawberry limes will be featured on the Foodista homepage on the July 6, just one day, you don’t want to miss that. I am really excited about that and put the Foodista badge all over this side, rather not cool but I don’t get this honor every day.
Cevapcici is a Serbian specialty or is it from Croatia? We better don’t fight over that, I am already confused about dishes I know from Germany which become French or Swiss or vice versa. At the end, it’s all European. Let’s say it is traditionally cooked in the Balkan area. I even saw them in Greek restaurants served over pita bread with cole slaw and tzatziki on the side and this is how you should have them to get the whole deal.
I would describe them as a meatball changed his job and become a sausage. They are grilled the best but if it is pouring rain outside I am more than happy to pan fry or even bake them rather than refrain from enjoying them. Traditionally they are made with very fine ground meat, you can ask your butcher to ground your meat a second time, I like to use my food processor. Although the ground meat you get at your grocery store or butcher will work just great.
Usually, cevapcici are not wrapped in bacon but I think why not? Everything is better with bacon, you even get bacon with chocolate and ice cream.
Make ahead! They need to rest at least one hour in the fridge but a few more hours would be even better for developing more flavor. You can use many kinds of meats like pork, some people say the best choice is half beef and half lamb. Make some variations with green olives, feta cheese (crumbled or filled), oregano etc.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs (use GF if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 8 bacon strips
- Add everything to a bowl and knead with your hands until well combined.
- Wet your fingers and form a sausage-like shape about 10 cm / 4 inches long, you should get 8 cevapcici. Roll every cevapcici in one slice of bacon. It should stick, but fix it with a toothpick if necessary.
- Put them on a plate, cover and let rest in our refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Grill over medium heat (200 C / 400 F, direct) until cooked through and the bacon is crispy.