This is an easy and tasty recipe for white fish filet with capers, black olives, and tomatoes. It is inspired by the Italian cuisine and great for smaller groups, parties, and vacation.
Not everybody knows what I mean if I say Christmas and Easter fall on the same day, that is what we would say in Germany but maybe you get what I mean if I am saying ‘all my Christmases come at once’ and it happened for the last two weeks to me! Last year I spend my first Christmas without my parents and sisters but we made it up this Easter as they all came over from Germany for a small family reunion in Florida. For two weeks we were spoiled with sunny weather, beautiful beaches, a lot of good talks, jokes, fun and a lot of time we were able to spend together.
I think I mentioned before we are a foodie family so we ate a lot of good stuff. For the first time since Christmas 2009 my most important people had been sitting on the same table and we made sure to feed everyone very well. Our vacation house had a huge kitchen where we cooked and talked together with enough counter space for each cook. We enjoyed exotic fruits, fresh seafood, and tasty BBQs. Although it was not always easy to finally decide what should be on the menu and grocery shopping often took a while because everyone had a different opinion. We had a great time!
Mr. F had been very fortunate while going deep sea fishing, first of all, he was just lucky not to fall overboard but he also caught some nice fish which we had on the grill and the other day he brought home some smaller grunts and we decided to cook them in the oven. This is an easy and fast vacation recipe, no exotic herbs and spices (we didn’t even found salt and pepper in our vacation kitchen as we arrived), no fuzz and not much effort for great taste.
Here are some photographic proofs Mr. F took from his big catch:
fish filet with capers, black olives, and tomatoes
- 3½ pound white fish fillets
- 1 handful pitted black olives (Kalamata!), cut in rings
- 65 g / ⅓ cup capers rinsed and drained
- 300 g / 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F and grease a casserole dish or baking pan with the olive oil.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and place it in the casserole dish. Top with capers, olives, cherry tomatoes, garlic, and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish filet.
- The fish is done if the white liquid (protein) starts to seeping through if there is much liquid, it is over done.